Wetsuit Recommendations

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Wetsuit Recommendations

Postby V » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:11 am

Okay so V needs a new suit, the current wetsuit I have is swiss cheese and has a 7 inch tear in one of the shoulders. Either from rippin it or getting dragged after many a failed handlepass attempt! Oh well, she has run her course and its time to upgrade. This was a 5/3 so I'm looking to go warmer. No integrated hood. I have a hotskin that goes under the suit with a hood built in so I think just a suit would be good. I've heard Hotline and Pryde are good suits. Anyone have any other suggestions?

I should probably mention fit, I'm 6'2"-ish maybe 6'3"? 195-ish?
V
Unstrapped!

Re: Wetsuit Recommendations

Postby 4w7s » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:00 pm

I bought a Hyperflex Amp thru Motor City Kiteboarding, hooded 6/5/4 front entry, in 2009 (under $300) and have put a ton of use on it...probably 200+ sessions (1/2 of them salt water and 1/2 fresh water). The suit is still in great condition. I have touched up a few spots on the seams but nothing major. This suit has nice super stretch neoprene, and has glued and taped seams which I think is crucial for a cold water suit. The neoprene is still supple and no thin spots at all. I would definitely consider this brand again. (I have a 3/2 Amp from the same year and it's still going strong as well) I imagine I have at least 2 more solid years left on these suits and as much use as they get I could never complain about this type of lifespan. And the prices on the HF line seem to be very good.

Don't know if anyone else uses this trick, but I think it helps the neoprene last longer and makes the suit go on easier: I use a plastic bag over my hands and feet when I slip the suit on...it goes on like butter without much struggle. The best bags are the waxy feeling plastic bags from the bakery dept at most grocery stores...I never go anywhere without a few of them. I also try to rinse and dry my suit after every use...keeps the stink out and maybe makes the suit last longer too?

The built-in hood definitely enhances the warmth of any suit. The hood on my suit eliminates flushing almost completely unless you do a real hard face plant. The comfort of the hood is OK and isn't much strain unless you're a total pencil neck. Some people have a hard time getting used to a front entry, but I don't have any complaints...plus front entry flush much less than rear entry.

Just an FYI - I ordered my suit according to the size chart and should have fit into a size M, but that was way to tight so I ended up in a Large/short, which fit great. I heard that the new sizing is more accurate but you should inquire about that, or if possible try one on.

btw... the booties from Hyperflex have also been very good (I have 3/2 and 5/4 split toe high tops) They have defo outlasted the O'neils I've had in the past by a mile. I also have some Hyperflex gloves (also the Amp model that has a "sharkskin" on the palm side which seems to make a huge difference in wear) that have lasted very well...going into the third year and just starting to touch up a few seams on the gloves.
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby STF » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:29 pm

V,

I and a few others got the NPX 6/5/4/ and its awesome. Never been this warm while kiting. Though mine has a built in hood i think they might make one with out hood?

Also what kind of hotskin do you have with a built in hood? looking to get one.

STF
STF
Boosticus Maximus

Postby zulutimer » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:04 pm

Mystic makes kiting specific suits. I have the Crossfire and love it. Check out the Crossfire, Voltage or Precious Steamer in 5/4 or 5/3. Live2kite has them.
Paul
zulutimer
Kite Crew in Training

Postby Herbie » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:08 pm

I have the 2011 NPX 6/5/4/ Hooded suit as well.
http://www.npxwetsuits.com/index.php?op ... &Itemid=85

I normally get cold very easy.

This NPX suit is super warm. Was out yesterday in 44 degrees and I was totally warm, not even a bit of a chill. The suit is so warm that I will give you a warning that there were a couple times I've used the suit in lower to mid-fifties temps and I've somewhat over-heated enough to come in off the water and put on a "colder" wet suit.

I've been "flushed" a few times with the suit. The flush was in the front neck area, seems like there could be a minor tweak in the design to help prevent that. Pretty much impossible to get a back flush with the hood. I've wondered if a front zip suit would stop this from happening, but I've never used one.

If looking for the warmest suit possible, you can't do better that a suit like this "wind" suit with smooth skin to minimize getting chilled due to evaporation. However the other suits with cloth on the outside may be a bit more durable.

If I had to replace the suit today it would be a difficult choice between the same suit or, to try a suit with a front zip to minimize ANY flushing. So far I'm not aware of a front zip suit that is predominately smooth skin, and that would make the choice really difficult.

So I'll leave with a question. If you have a front zip suit with a hood, can you still get "flushed"?
Herbie
Resident Windfreak

Postby 4w7s » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:59 pm

Herbie wrote:If looking for the warmest suit possible, you can't do better that a suit like this "wind" suit with smooth skin to minimize getting chilled due to evaporation. However the other suits with cloth on the outside may be a bit more durable.

I used to think the smooth skin suits were better for wind sports. Not convinced anymore after 30+ years of windsurfing and kiting in extreme temperatures with both smooth and more recently soft outer skin...and for sure the smooth skin gets damaged MUCH MUCH easier.
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby Bob » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:21 pm

V,

Let me know if you want an NPX 6/5/4. I can order one up asap. All sold out at the moment.

Bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby FSP » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:18 pm

had some issues with my npx 6/5/4 and at least my hood anyway, takes a huge gulp of water if you faceplant or duck dive a bigger wave due to no drawstring. hood is also only 3 or 4 mil not 6 like any surfing suit in a 6/5/4. hood tucks in the suit and can again be flushed if duckdiving or a faceplant not to mention the design leaves velcro up around the neck area for the final closure to which is just not that bomber for keeping water out and durability. I was flushed everytime and would be worried unless figuring out a way to spend more money and get layers for the outside of the suit to cover the hood and neck.

For colder conditions I also bought the 2012 EXCEL xzip. No water, super warm and no flushing as of a rippin good wave sesh today.
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby FSP » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:31 pm

just read the initial post again and if you have a hotskin to go over the NPX then that would seem to work great for the NPX zealot suit to protect the enclosures from a good flush. And, not to sound like I am bashing the NPX above, just would be concerned in really cold water for someone who got flushed like i have. For me the suit will be good for early fall until late october but not nov kiting or winter surfing.
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:31 am

HOTLINE 5/4 with hood and front zip entry....will never buy a different suit......swear by it!!!
West
Wind Whore

Postby Artem » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:47 am

Neil Pryde 3000 series 5/3 steamer.......... Thats what I have and it really warm.
Black 2011 12m North Vegas, Orange Best HP Nemesis 7m, 134cm Naish Thorn, 8'6 surfboard
-------------------------------------------------------
Artem
Artem
Boosticus Maximus

Postby schuss8899 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:04 pm

Promotion makes a great suit, these guys left oneill about 10 years back to make a better suit. Very well made and will last twice as long as any other suit out there, quite comfy and warm. find them at wetsuit.com
schuss8899
Resident Windfreak

Postby V » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:34 pm

My suit is a Promotion now. Served me well, but need more than a 5/3. The hotskin goes under the suit. Its a ripcurl and works well. Hence i think a 5/4 might be good or i just get a better suit band forego the hotskin entirely and use the tore-up 5/3 for warmer days.

Ok i'll check out these recommends this weekend. I need to get back on the water already. At this point by the time i actually get a suit if i ordered today, it is going to probably be spring. Sigh...i gotta get my priorities straight!
V
Unstrapped!

Postby Rainmann » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:30 pm

I just purchased an NPX Assassin 6/5/4 frt zip full suit. I also have a Hyperflex polyolefin full suit. It is easier to get into the front entry with a long sleeve rash guard or the poly fullsuit.
I used a 4/3 Assassin most of the year and found it very comfortable and warm so went with the 6/5/4 for fall/spring riding. I tried on the Zealot (wind suit) but it was a lot stiffer than the Assassin.
http://www.npxwetsuits.com/index.php?op ... &Itemid=85
http://hyperflexusa.com/product/poly-fullsuit/
Rainmann
Pump Master

Postby Herbie » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:28 pm

Dang, overheated (in a negative way) again today in the the 2011 NPX 6/5/4/ Zealot Wind suit.
Temps were higher 50's. Rushed out of the house without the colder suit (4/3 Oneil), didn't know it was so warm out in November.

Yeah, interesting, the flushing is coming from the hood around the face. Hmm.
Herbie
Resident Windfreak

Postby Safe_Cracker » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:08 am

I have a 2010 Zealot and only get flushed when I do the flushing lol usually because I'm hot! Around the neck you have to make sure the soft material is tucked under the suit the there is a smooth flap that goes over that to prevent a neck flushing. Now if it is loose at all around the face it will flush on a face plant but that should be expected.I have had mine down to 19F /34F water and was comfortable...

Polo
I could be wrong, but not usually

:)-~
Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Postby hammer » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:41 am

Hey V,

I have an XLL Hyperflex Flow 6/5/4 instock and the price tag is hard to beat, get in touch for the details, brand mgr says its a warmer suit than the AMP 6/5/4 which I currently rock, a suit of this caliber doesn't exist at $299.99! Your specs are identical to mine.
hammer
Adrenaline Junkie

Postby V » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:45 pm

I find the more I look at this stuff the more I don't know which to buy, they all have their own names for stuff that's the same thing. I just gotta get off the pot already...
V
Unstrapped!

Postby slingsnot » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:07 pm

V,

I just bought a Hyperflex Flow 6/5/4, and tried it for the first time yesterday. Toasty warm, and $259, including shipping and tax from www.wetsuitwarehouse.com. I was indecisive, as well, and these guys talked me through the purchase, and helped with sizing (they know how different brands and models fit).

Plus, you can return it if it doesn't fit, etc.

Joel
312.953.8706 p
slingsnot
Pump Master

Postby FSP » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:50 pm

safe cracker: with all do respect, by flushing i mean in waves much bigger than what you get at waukeegan or skimming the shore at miller. bigger waves will fill that flimsy hood in a heartbeat if you go down or get rolled hard in the turbulence by a chunky outside wave. they put a draw string on every surfing suit hood per every manufacture for this reason btw! surfing suits in 6/5/4 will also have lots of 6 mil neoprene to help float you

as for the cheaper suits (hyperflex). they say they use less of the premium neoprene, more stitched panels, more seams in places that restrict you, and less attention to detail in wrist, ankle, zip designs and fit options comparably.

i have had them all from windsurfing to surfing to kiting and if you tested it then great but if not and find yourself flushed with a kite down or happen to be cold and swimming due to a nice surprise, you will only wish you thought about the small things.
FSP
Zen Levitator

Next

Return to Open Forum