SEPTEMBER 8-12th at TAWAS!

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

SEPTEMBER 8-12th at TAWAS!

Postby Like To Kite » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:58 pm

Get ready for another spectacular long weekend of kiting at the amazing kite spot, East Tawas, MI! We are planning on heading there on the Thursday, September 8th and coming home the evening of Monday, September 12th. It may be our last trip there for awhile so I hope you can make it to this one. Everyone is welcome to join us for any length of time. Please come and share in the kiting fun!

Camp with us or rent a cabin. The more the merrier and we usually end up with an extremely fun group to kite and hang out with. We'll be bringing the kiting expedition RV. I have some spare camping equipment so if anyone needs to borrow anything just let me know.

The trip is usually pretty inexpensive. We all bring some food and sometimes cook together. We will be camping at Tawas Point State Park which is right next to the kite spot. We split camping fees so it usually works out to be $10 per person per night. We already have some spots reserved. If you are interested in camping with us please let me know which nights you would like to stay.

Also, there is always the option to camp for free at the National Forest about 15 minutes away.

If you would prefer to stay at a cabin, we have an excellent option for you! A good kiting friend of ours, Carmen, just bought a cabin right on the beach at an amazing kite spot. The cabin is nicely fully furnished and outfitted with all the basic supplies. Since our last trip she has added a hot tub too! She is offering us 3 nights and 4 days for only 200 per person, an amazing deal. Her place is much nicer than the typical Tawas cabin rental. Please let me know right away if you are interested in staying here so we can reserve a spot for you. We'll probably take a field trip here too because it is such a good kite spot and Carmen invites us to launch from her beach!

Here are a few more pictures from the last trip where we got our best riding in at Carmen's house:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10205

Ride sharing usually works out well too. Some people only come for the weekend so there are different options depending on what your schedule is. It would be helpful for coordinating if you post your plans here.

One more thing to know about is the Recreation Passport that is required at all Michigan State Parks. Out-of-state residents are required to purchase a $29 annual Motor Vehicle Permit, or $8 Daily permit. If you plan on visiting any other Michigan State Parks or coming to Tawas again, it may be worth buying the annual pass. You need the same pass at Little Sable Point and some other kite spots as well.

I will be teaching lessons and there are also people coming just for fun, to ride and improve. It is the perfect spot for learning and any level of riding. Flat water and shallow over a huge area. This spot works in every wind direction because you can kite on both sides of the bay. Wind is more consistent at Tawas because it is thermal dependant. Ignore the forecast, you have to know what to look for. If you see any warm/sunny conditions with any Southerly flow, it is pretty much a sure thing. Some other conditions bring wind too. There have been so many times that the Chicago area had no wind and we got it good in Tawas.

I'm happy to help anyone out anytime. Always happy to provide occasional tips and lessons are also available. Please let me know as soon as possible if you would like to schedule a lesson during the trip. We'll have lots of demo gear ready to ride too. There are always Ozone and Royal Kites along with Spleene, CrazyFly and BroKite Boards!!!

We always have a great time! Here are some pics from one of last year's trips:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9181

It is about a 6.5 drive from Chicago.
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Chicago,+IL&daddr=42.2973185,-85.01423+to:686+Tawas+Beach+Road,+East+Tawas,+Michigan+48730+(Tawas+Point+Lighthouse)&hl=en&sll=42.94574,-85.700742&sspn=4.543069,10.821533&geocode=FWICfwIdGuDG-inty_TQPCwOiDEAwMAJrabgrw%3BFeZnhQIdKsnu-inLSFk9pfwXiDGDQmCUe7Vohw%3BFV5CowIdaqkG-yGxcRt7dpELOw&mra=pd&t=h&z=7&vpsrc=0&via=1

Hope you can make it, would be great to have you there!

Happy Kiting!
Amanda
http://www.LikeToKite.com
(773) 672-3210
Like To Kite
Resident Windfreak

Re: SEPTEMBER 8-12th at TAWAS!

Postby swimeveryday » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:51 am

I'm in! I have to work Thursday morning, so I won't be leaving until about noon. Anyone want to come with to share fuel costs? I'm basically on the western edge of Ravenswood for my starting point. Have to leave Sunday night. So looking forward to it!
..it's building...
swimeveryday
Board Slinger

Postby Like To Kite » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:15 am

Looking forward to a great weekend at Tawas! The weather is supposed to be pleasant and good for camping. Looks like we have great potential for some excellent conditions!

We are starting early and kiting at Michigan City for the next couple of days since the wind is so good right now. We are packing up the Living Large RV now, kiting Wednesday and Thursday at Michigan City and going to Tawas straight from there. Should be a great week!

Here's the link to Michigan City:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=chica ... 7&t=h&z=10

Thanks and see you soon!

Happy Kiting!
Amanda
http://www.LikeToKite.com
(773) 672-3210
Like To Kite
Resident Windfreak

Postby chillin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:21 pm

The last Tawas trip of the season is wrapped up and Amanda and I are setting our sights on Florida for the winter! The first two days of the trip were PERFECT beach days...unfortunately my definition of a perfect beach day includes about a 5 knot breeze. The students got some nice practice time on trainer kites though and the rest of us were took turns on Mikes new inflatable SUP's that he is selling.

Sunday rolled around and it was on, riding 10's and 12's all day. Monday was the best day by far, spent the day powered up on my new 9m Ozone edge and loved it. Unfortunately I was feeling pretty lazy with the camera but got a few shots in.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10269

Thanks to everyone that came and made it another great week.

Stephen
Ozone C4, Ozone Edge
Crazyfly Raptor Pro LTD

314-800-6244
chillin
Wind Chaser

Postby swimeveryday » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:28 am

Yup. I'm finding that the beauty of kitesurfing is in the people, the weather and the communing more than just riding.
Thanks to Adam, Amanda, Stephen, Lee, Jeff, Mike and Ken. (Eek, did I leave anyone out?)

@ Stephen: checked out the link, but it said the pics are 'not avail'.. any ideas?
..it's building...
swimeveryday
Board Slinger

Postby chillin » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:34 am

I'm not sure what is going on with that page. Sometimes the pictures show up and sometimes they don't. If they say unavailable just click on one of the "unavailable" images and it will take you straight to my flickr page and you can see them all.

Stephen
Ozone C4, Ozone Edge
Crazyfly Raptor Pro LTD

314-800-6244
chillin
Wind Chaser

Postby West » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:46 am

SMS, now you are figuring out the magic of kiting in the Midwest..........the drive, the exhiliration of finding wind, the beautiful beaches, and the friends you make along the way!!! :wink: Enjoy and safety first...........
West
Wind Whore

Postby snowball » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:03 pm

Looks amazing :)
My Quiver: Slingshot Fuels, Best Waroos, Mystic Harness, Brokite Board, Zap Skimboard, Naish Surfboard.

KITEBOARDING LESSONS - WATER - SNOW - LAND + GEAR SALES !!!

Owner at http://www.ChicagoKiteboardingLessons.com Email: Chicagokitelessons@gmail.com
snowball
Boosticus Maximus

Return to Open Forum