TAWAS TIME!!! August 11-15th

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

TAWAS TIME!!! August 11-15th

Postby Like To Kite » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:09 pm

Get ready for another spectacular long weekend of kiting at the amazing kite spot, East Tawas, MI! We are planning on heading there on the Thursday, August 11th and coming home the evening of Monday, August 15th. Everyone is welcome to join us for any length of time. Please come and share in the kiting fun!

Camp with us or rent a cabin. The more the merrier and we usually end up with an extremely fun group to kite and hang out with. We'll be bringing the kiting expedition RV. I have some spare camping equipment so if anyone needs to borrow anything just let me know.

The trip is usually pretty inexpensive. We all bring some food and sometimes cook together. We will be camping at Tawas Point State Park which is right next to the kite spot. We split camping fees so it usually works out to be $10 per person per night. We already have some spots reserved and are working on more. If you are interested in camping with us please let me know which nights you would like to stay and we'll see what we can do.

We may run out of space at our campsites. If you are planning on coming, it would be helpful if you can try to make a reservation at the campground. To make campground reservations:
http://www.midnrreservations.com/Search ... ?ParkID=62

Also, there is always the option to camp for free at the National Forest about 15 minutes away.

If you would prefer not to camp there are also many different options of places to stay in the area. We've stayed a few different cabins in the past.

Timberlane is affiliated with Motor City Kiteboarding and is right down the street from the State Park where we are camping and riding. Please mention that you are a kiteboarder for a discount.
http://www.timberlaneresorts.com/

We've also had good luck at cabins down the road a bit, about 15 minutes away. Here's the link:
http://woodlandbeachcottages.com/

We've also stayed in a cabin right at the State Park, basically two bunk beds in a room.

Ride sharing usually works out well too. Some people only come for the weekend so there are different options depending on what your schedule is. It would be helpful for coordinating if you post your plans here.

One more thing to know about is the Recreation Passport that is required at all Michigan State Parks. Out-of-state residents are required to purchase a $29 annual Motor Vehicle Permit, or $8 Daily permit. If you plan on visiting any other Michigan State Parks or coming to Tawas again, it may be worth buying the annual pass. You need the same pass at Little Sable Point and some other kite spots as well.

I will be teaching lessons and there are also people coming just for fun, to ride and improve. It is the perfect spot for learning and any level of riding. Flat water and shallow over a huge area. This spot works in every wind direction because you can kite on both sides of the bay. Wind is more consistent at Tawas because it is thermal dependant. Ignore the forecast, you have to know what to look for. If you see any warm/sunny conditions with any Southerly flow, it is pretty much a sure thing. Some other conditions bring wind too. There have been so many times that the Chicago area had no wind and we got it good in Tawas.

I'm happy to help anyone out anytime. Always happy to provide occasional tips and lessons are also available. Please let me know as soon as possible if you would like to schedule a lesson during the trip. We'll have lots of demo gear ready to ride too. There are always Ozone and Royal Kites along with Spleene, CrazyFly and BroKite Boards!!!

We always have a great time! Here are some pics from one of last year's trips:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9181

It is about a 6.5 drive from Chicago.
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Chicago,+IL&daddr=686+Tawas+Beach+Road,+East+Tawas,+Michigan+48730+(Tawas+Point+Lighthouse)&hl=en&ll=42.932296,-85.539551&spn=4.544255,10.821533&sll=42.94574,-85.700742&sspn=4.543069,10.821533&geocode=FWICfwIdGuDG-inty_TQPCwOiDEAwMAJrabgrw%3BFV5CowIdaqkG-yGxcRt7dpELOw&mra=pd&t=h&z=7

Hope you can make it, would be great to have you there!
Amanda
http://www.LikeToKite.com
(773) 672-3210
Like To Kite
Resident Windfreak

Re: TAWAS TIME!!! August 11-15th

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:03 am

I requested off for this trip. Looking forward to see what Tawas will bring
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:42 am

Any one heading up there with a Broboard? We'll be brining the EvilKneevil board that Kytbord and I build. I am just really curious about the bro's
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby Like To Kite » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:27 am

Cool Maurice and Jim, would be great to try your EvilKneevil boards! We'll have the awesome BROKITE boards among lots of other gear there so I'm sure there will be tons of swapping going on throughout the weekend. Love that fun environment while getting to try new gear out! :D
Amanda
(773) 672-3210
Like To Kite
Resident Windfreak

Postby Like To Kite » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:00 am

Looking forward to another great trip! 12 of us are definitely going to be there and waiting to hear confirmations from more. I have been booking lots of campsites so we should be good. Please be sure to let me know that you are coming to ensure that you have a spot. Also, if you are interested in taking lessons please let me know asap, I'd love to assist you and Tawas is a great place for learning!

If you would prefer to stay at a cabin, we have an excellent option for you! A good kiting friend of ours, Carmen, just bought a cabin right on the beach at an amazing kite spot called Atlantis. The cabin is nicely fully furnished and outfitted with all the basic supplies. She is offering us 3 nights and 4 days for only 200 per person, an amazing deal. Her place will be much nicer than the typical Tawas cabin rental. Please let me know right away if you are interested in staying here so we can plan for it. We'll probably take a field trip here too because it is such a good kite spot and Carmen has graciously invited us to launch from her beach, super cool and so excited!

Carmen's Cabin

Beach at Carmen's

It is also going to be a very exciting trip because it happens to be Stephen's Birthday on Friday! Always a good party when it involves kiters, get ready for a celebration!!! :D
Last edited by Like To Kite on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amanda
(773) 672-3210
Like To Kite
Resident Windfreak

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:15 am

Forecasts looks pretty good. Temps around 77, WindAlert.com talking about 15mph for Friday (cross our fingers the thermal will be bringing more)!!!
And I am getting reunited with EvilKneevil!!! Looking forward to see you all out there!
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby Like To Kite » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:58 pm

Just got back from another amazing trip to Tawas! Everyday worked out for us. Beautiful camping weather, nice beach days, and kiting everyday. :D

Sunday was a highlight of our trip with the strongest wind conditions that day. We took a field trip over to Carmen's cabin and kited right from her huge and beautiful sandy beach right in front of her house. Smiles on all of our faces all day long!

Thanks everyone that came along with us for the fun times, great to see everyone enjoying themselves and improving! We'll post up some pictures soon.

Happy Kiting!
Amanda
(773) 672-3210
Like To Kite
Resident Windfreak

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:49 am

Tawas was a lot of fun. A place were beginners can progress without deep waters, and were more advanced riders can enjoy waves and flat water spots.
Friday was a killer day rode the EvilKneevil :D :D
Saturday was too bad because of the rain and other storms rolling in all day long, but the evening was fun at Carmen's place! S moors. Here the result of S moors and Kraecken Rum

I still wonder how this happened????

Thanks Amanda for taking the lead on reserving the camp sights. IT WAS PACKED!!! Thanks Kytbord for driving us up there. And thanks to all for making fun out of my EvilKneevil! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby Juani222 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:19 pm

That's what happens when you give a marshmallow to an Argentinean dude...

Thanks Amanda for everything!
Juani222
Board Monkey

Postby Like To Kite » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:19 pm

Here are the pictures from the August Tawas trip, as you can see we had a great time!

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10205

Hope you can come kite with us at Tawas September 8-12th!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10213

Happy Kiting!
Amanda
(773) 672-3210
Like To Kite
Resident Windfreak

Return to Open Forum